History of RCSI
Royal College Surgeons Ireland
For over 200 years RCSI has played a major role in medical education and training in Ireland. Founded in 1784 to train surgeons, today the College provides extensive education and training in the healthcare professions at undergraduate and postgraduate level.
The Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland was granted a Charter on 11th February 1784. This Charter gave the College the power to control the practice of surgery and to make provision for surgical education.
Prior to that time the surgeons were grouped with the barbers and the Barbers Surgeons Guild. The founders had no premises so the earliest meeting was held in the boardroom of the Rotunda Hospital in Dublin. Subsequently, a disused hall in Mercer Street beside Mercer’s Hospital was acquired.
200 years on St Stephen's Green
Royal College of Physicians of Ireland
The Royal College of Physicians of Ireland (RCPI) was established in 1654, as a Fraternity of Physicians which was granted a Royal Charter by Charles II in 1667. The roll of the College includes the names of such famous Irish medical men as John Steam, Thomas Arthur, Sir Patrick Dunn, Thomas Molyneux, William Petty, John Cheyne, Robert Graves, William Stokes and Sir Dominic Corrigan.
In association with the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, the College plays an active part in the education and examination of undergraduate medical students.